The Board has become aware of an issue with the current criteria for student membership in the Articles of Association. The current articles 21.7 states;
a) “No person shall be eligible for admission as a Student Member of the Association unless the Committee is satisfied that the person:
(i) has a substantial interest in the field of compulsory purchase and compensation; and
(ii) is (as appropriate) a full or part-time student of any degree or other course or is in the course of completion of training for full membership of any of the organisations listed in either part of the Schedule hereto.”
These requirements would be met by any surveyor in full time employment undertaking their RICS APC or the equivalent for other disciplines. The Board does not believe this was the intention of the Articles and therefore recommend that item (ii) is amended to read
(ii) “is in full time or part-time education (which shall include any sandwich year or work experience undertaken as part of a full time education course).”
The board will therefore ask the membership to vote on the matter at the AGM. Members not wishing to attend, but who wish to have a proxy vote can do so by downloading a here, completing and returning it by fax or scanned email. Members are asked to please return the proxy form by Friday 18 October 2019 at 4pm. Fuller details can be obtained here (and the link to the web page)
The board is seeking support from the membership to:
The proposed changes to the Articles of Association can be found here.
The note explains the Article to be changed, what the new Article will say, and the statement of reasons.
EGM Rules and How to vote
- Each resolution will be voted upon.
- Members will be invited by a show of hands to adopt the above motions.
- Members not wishing to attend, but who wish to have a proxy vote can do so by downloading this form here, completing and returning it by fax or scanned email. Members are asked to return the proxy form by Friday 22 February 4pm, although the deadline, under the Articles, is 3.15pm on Saturday 23rd Feb.
- Articles can only be amended by a count at an AGM or EGM
- A resolution will be accepted if 75% or more of those voting are in favour.
Full Articles can be found here.