The Compulsory Purchase Association
The CPA is a not for profit member organisation that promotes best and effective practice in delivering land for infrastructure, housing and regeneration. It is non partisan and does not support or oppose, nor comment upon specific schemes. Its members represent acquiring authorities and claimants.
The CPA brings together and channels the wealth of expertise in the subject of Compulsory Purchase & compensation, to promote this important area of work and to foster a basis for best practice. In doing so, it not only provides a sounding board for change in this sphere, but makes comment and provides recommendations relating to relevant Law Commission, government department and other reports and existing/proposed Legislation. It also promotes training and networking to share experience and knowledge. It is a fully independent and self funded organisation.
Its 800 plus members are surveyors, solicitors, barristers, planners, or accountants and others associated with the delivery or management of compulsory purchase.
- Establish a multi-disciplinary association of persons interested in compulsory purchase.
- Enable free exchange of views, experience and advice.
- Provide correspondence and newsletters to members by e-newsletters and e-mails.
- Promote lectures, seminars, and similar events, on compulsory purchase topics for both members and non-members.
- Provide networking opportunities for members and liaise with Universities to provide assistance on compulsory purchase topics.
- Act as a reference point and sounding board for Government, the Law Commission and others on compulsory purchase issues and proposals.
- Promote best practice in all aspects of compulsory purchase.
- Remain independent of all organisations so as to offer balanced and unprejudiced views and advice.
Benefits of Membership
- If you are involved or interested in the field of compulsory purchase, the CPA provides an ideal platform to network, learn, and contribute to best practice and law reform.
- The CPA promotes and imparts best practice
- The CPA is cross professional, making it the voice of the profession
- The CPA has contributed significantly to recent law reform.
- The CPA was also one of the drivers behind the new RICS Professional Statement setting mandatory standards for surveyors advising in respect of compulsory purchase and statutory valuation.
- Members benefit from discounts on our national conference and discounts or often free attendance, at regional events. You also receive e-alerts on CPO and CPA business
- Whilst the CPA is no stamp of expertise, it does carry weight in the eyes of practitioners who are associated with CPO matters.
- Discounted attendance at national conference.
- Discounted or free regional CPD events and network events
- Newsletter and CPO briefings
- Distribution of live CPO jobs
- Discounted Reform lecture attendance
What CPA does with your support and participation
- Promotes best practice and reforms to it – to members, to professionals in the CPO world and those who have interest in it
- Engages with Government, agencies and stakeholders
- Promotes a CPO agenda with professional bodies
- Engages with lobby groups