Job ref: 5624
Full time, permanent
Vacancies in various locations nationwide (Leeds, Warrington, Solihull, Peterborough, Lincoln, Welwyn Garden City, Reading, Worthing and Exeter).
As an Assistant Estates Surveyor (known internally as an Estates Officer) you will work alongside our Estates and Senior Estates Surveyors providing a professional estates service to our business. Whether you are recently qualified or still working towards your professional qualification we will support you whilst you move through your surveying career, if you are committed and have the drive to progress there will be opportunities for you to move up through our structure once you have gained relevant experience . Whilst working in this role you will be involved in a wide variety of surveying work, this will keep your days varied and interesting and enable you to gain a wide breadth of knowledge and experience. Your work will include helping to deliver our national flood risk programme, you will look after various operation projects and manage a diverse land portfolio, you will also provide assistance to the acquisition and compensation programme for major capital works. Working as an assistant surveyor in the Environment agency will mean that the environment will be at the heart of everything you do, your work will ensure that we maximise our financial profits and drive forward positive environmental outcomes for our local communities.
You’ll be expected to visit remote field sites so you’ll need a willingness to travel and a full UK driving licence. A lease car will be provided
You’re recently qualified or part qualified and working towards full RICS qualification (or equivalent experience), with experience delivering results in an operational environment. Ideally, you’ll have a good working knowledge of a professional estates service and it would be advantageous if you’ve an understanding of compensation and land acquisition, estate management (including landlord and tenant) or valuation. A credible and enthusiastic communicator with good networking skills, you’ve no problem building strong relationships with a wide range of colleagues and stakeholders. You’re a motivated team player, able to think on your feet and prioritise your work effectively.
We operate at the place where environmental change has its greatest impact on people’s lives. We reduce the risks to people and properties from flooding; make sure there is enough water for people and wildlife; protect and improve air, land and water quality and apply the environmental standards within which industry can operate. From regulating major industry to improving water quality, from reducing pollution incidents to the regulation of waste management activities, it’s our job to create a better place for people and wildlife.
The Estates team offers professional support for Environment Agency land, property, compensation and valuation matters. Our experienced Chartered Surveyors specialise in negotiating access to sites so that our frontline colleagues can do their vital work. We deal with compensation claims from land and property owners where they have suffered loss as a consequence of the Environment Agency's work. We also manage the Environment Agency's own landholdings and provide a comprehensive valuation service.
As well as the opportunity to make a real difference to the environment, you can look forward to a competitive package with a range of benefits, these include:
- A generous career average pension scheme (18.5% contributions from us)
- Holiday allowance related to grade and length of service, rising from 25 days to 30 days per year, plus 8 statutory public and bank holidays (pro-rata for part-time employees)
- Generous enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave schemes
- Leave for examinations, approved studies, public duties, special/reserve forces, environmental work, trade union representatives and health and safety representatives
- A range of flexible working options, including flexi-time - these depend on business needs, but our aim is to help you achieve a positive work-life balance
- Occupational health benefits, including counselling and advisory service, eye care service and access to our employee assistance service
- Interest free loans for season tickets and/or bicycles and safety equipment
- Childcare vouchers scheme
- Subsidised sports and social clubs
- Up to two days paid environmental outcome days each year. These give you the opportunity to take part in community activities with a clear environmental outcome for people and wildlife
- Other rewards, including shopping, leisure, fitness, finance and travel benefits and discounts
We will support your continued personal and professional development too: we’ll put a formal development plan in place for you and help you to identify and address skills gaps.
We are passionate about employing people from all backgrounds that reflect the diverse communities we serve. Help us make a difference in an organisation that embraces difference and values everyone. Diversity: it’s in our nature.