As a Utilities Manager at HS2, you will manage and deliver the relevant aspects of the land acquisition programme on behalf of a specific Phase 2 region, to ensure timely availability of the required land for the HS2 project.
A critical part of the role is to build an effective operational relationship with the strategic suppliers that support specific areas along the route. The Property Acquisition Manager will be required to brief, direct and manage the delivery of settlements through the appointed supply chain.
In doing so, the Property Acquisition Manager will need to take full account of the performance of HS2 and its suppliers, in their ability to deliver the scope of acquisitions, and ensure the aims, objectives and outcomes are delivered.
About the role:
• Ownership and delivery of the required acquisitions for utilities purposes across Phase 1 of the route, on behalf of the Acquisition Lead.
• Establish a robust process for securing and transferring the legal rights in land for the various utility companies to meet the obligations set out in the Protective Provisions Agreements.
• Implement a strategy to ensure agreements for occupation by utilities within scheme limits are secured with landowners by liaison with Utility Companies and Agents.
• Ensure all compensation claims are negotiated to settlement within policy, legal guidelines and budget parameters so that land is available to the project at the right time.
• Proactively build relationships with affected utility companies across Phase 1 to enable the negotiation process to be carried out effectively.
• Support the more complex aspects of negotiations and valuations to ensure resulting acquisitions meet forecast and quality requirements.
• Being aware of protected provisions agreements (PPAs) for specific utilities in relation to the project and how they may affect timing of land possessions required.
• Lead and direct external agents on property side negotiations with claimants for acquisition of rights over land and freehold for utility apparatus.
• Collaborate and communicate with other members of the property acquisition management team, Utilities and Construction teams to ensure a common and consistent approach is adopted across HS2.
• Ensure all data relating to the acquisitions is complete, accurate and within the appropriate property system.
• You will be expected to actively promote and embed Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work, and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
• Chartered surveyor or equivalent
• Evidence of working with suppliers, and ability to develop effective working relationships to ensure delivery through the supply chain.
• Awareness of the Legislation in relations to utilities companies and their rights to occupy land.
• Demonstrable experience working in the property business ( preferably in the land acquisition related to infrastructure projects)
• Must have broad knowledge of how compulsory purchase works and other government compensation schemes
• Ability to manage communications and negotiations in a tactful way
• Effective stakeholder management
• It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.