Advice - Compulsory Purchase Association

Go to content

For Practice > For Claimants

Need Advice?


How do I get CPO and Compensation Advice?

Finding a CPO Practitioner
The Compulsory Purchase Association was set up to allow practitioners and others who have an interest in CPO matters to network and to raise standards. We do not provide a service to introduce clients to members since we do not monitor professional standards of our members. However, members of the public and those seeking CPO services can use the services provided by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Law Society.

Finding a Surveyor
The CPO Referral system - A free service from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).

The RICS runs a compulsory purchase helpline via the RICS contact centre, which entitles callers to 30 minutes free advice from a local compulsory purchase expert. For further details please use this link to the RICS website. The RICS Compulsory Purchase Helpline +44 (0)24 7686 8555 (Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.30pm).

Finding a Solicitor
If a member of the public is looking for a solicitor to help with a CPO problem, there are two sources of assistance from the Law Society. The Society has an accreditation scheme for planning specialists, a Planning Panel. The Law Society's Information Services will search their list. Call them on +44 (0)20 7320 5650 (Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.30pm) or email them at

The Law Society website also has a search facility "Find a Solicitor". It is operated on the basis of the enquirer's post code and on the area of law in which the enquirer has a problem. If there is not a category on CPO, enquirers should select planning law and administrative and public law. For further details please use this Link to the Law Society website.

For both the Panel and Find a Solicitor the member of the public would then need to contact the solicitor or firm to check whether they could take a CPO case. There is no equivalent free referral scheme.

Back to content